October 2, 2006

Breast Cancer Awareness Month



I cannot think of a better reason to come back to my blog. October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Women of color have a 32% death rate for this and I'm making sure that I pass my pink ribbon around to get the important messages of monthly self exams and mammograms out. During the next couple of days I will be adding resources such as the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation.

http://www.komen.org

I was listening to the Tom Joyner radio show this morning featuring Patti LaBelle as a call in guest. She spoke of her and her family's struggles with Breast Cancer, as well as diabetes.

Ms. LaBelle is kicking off a National Mega church tour, featuring Yolanda Adams, Mary Mary and a host of other artists, to promote her 1st Gospel CD. "The Gospel According to Patti" and the proceeds from its sales will go to breast cancer charities. I don't know about yall, but this will def be on my shopping list.




Do ya thang Ms Labelle. I speak your name.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Drug Addicts

I, too,
was born a black man
and faced the same problems
that come with it,
so explain to me,
why I am not a drug addict.

Aren’t you tired of hearing:
“Everyone isn’t the same.”
which is true,
but tell me,
where should we place the blame?

In the 60’s and 70’s,
I too experimented with pot and coke,
realizing quickly,
if I continued,
I would be forever broke.

How is it that the monkey never jumped on my back,
never having to experience any withdrawals
or any panic attacks?

And never did I think to go out to rob,
because I knew the importance
of having a job.

Now I am asked to have pity
for those poor souls,
who stayed in that life,
never living long enough
to grow old.

Tell me,
when the drugs came in,
did it come in with your name on it?
So,
this is what you want me to believe,
is why you are an addict.

It’s my belief that addiction is
all in your mind,
so,
do me a favor,
and treat your mind,
so you can start to contribute
to all mankind.

Written by allthemanuneed©